Written by: Tevin Karume
It has been argued that in regards to writing a successful CV and cover letter, it is important to understand what is a CV or cover letter and the objectives of writing a CV and cover letter. And the reason is that when applying for a job it is crucial for candidates to acknowledge how this piece of the document (CV and Cover letter) can determine whether or not you are suitable for that specific job. This is evidently suggested by Smith in 2019 where she claims in her article that a CV allows people to promote themselves by providing a brief introduction of their education, skills, and experience, And at the same time cover letters provides an opportunity for candidates to convince their employers why they are the best candidates for the job (Smith, 2019.) Thus the aims of CV and cover letters provide opportunities for people to sell their abilities or skills that may potentially land a job for them.
Furthermore, it can be noted that it is equally important to recognize that there are certain tips that can help people build a successful and effective CV and Cover letter. In accordance with Buffett (2021), he describes in detail the various steps to construct an effective CV. It is evidently shown as he discusses how and when employers look at CV they do not simply look at the words but they also look at the layout of the CV. Buffett (2021) explains in-depth how the structure and the format of a CV are equally important which could possibly attract employers to consider candidates for the job. And in regards to cover letters there is a UK Government website that explicitly explains the various criteria on how to write a Cover letter and the significance of when it should be used. Therefore, it can be argued that while a CV provides a detailed description of someone’s skills or work experience. Cover letters tend to be additional information that describes who the candidates are and why they are the best candidate for the job,
Links for writing an effective CV and cover letter
- “10 Steps to a Successful CV | Totaljobs.” Totaljobs, 19 Nov. 2018, www.totaljobs.com/advice/successful-cv [Accessed 12 Nov. 2021].
- Buffett, Jacques. “How to Write a CV: Complete CV Writing Guide with Examples.” https://zety.com/uk/blog/how-to-write-a-cv [ Accessed 12 Nov. 2021].
- Covering Letter | Careers Advice | National Careers Service.” https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/careers-advice/covering-letter [Accessed 12 Nov. 2021].
- How To: Write a Cover Letter | Reed.co.uk.” Reed.co.uk, 15 June 2018, www.reed.co.uk/career-advice/how-to-write-a-cover-letter/. [Accessed 12 Nov. 2021].
- Smith, Jemma. “Cover Letters | Prospects.ac.uk.” Prospects.ac.uk, Prospects, 2019, www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/cvs-and-cover-letters/cover-letters. [Accessed 12 Nov. 2021].
- Smith, Jemma. “How to Write a CV | Prospects.ac.uk.” Prospects.ac.uk, Prospects, 2019, www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/cvs-and-cover-letters/how-to-write-a-cv. Accessed 12 Nov. 2021.]